THIS IS THE BLOG OF THE LEAPING LIZARD

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Moving on...

Since I was born I have lived in Herkimer, New York. The summer after 7th grade, my mom sold our house and bought one in Deerfield. We ended up moving a couple weeks later.

Moving out of town meant a couple things. It meant that I would leave my best friend behind. I have known her since I was born but don't really remember anything before I was like 4 years old. We got really close throughout our childhood. It was probably one of the toughest things to drive away from my best friend waving back to me.

I don't remember much of that day when I left the Herkimer house, but some things are in my memory clear as day. I remember packing the car with the last of our stuff, then getting in the front seat of the car. My mom piled a laundry basket on my lap, while another laundry basket was below my feet. Then my mom handed me the fish bowl, with fish included, for me to hold for the ride.

I remember crying so hard I could barely talk. I was sobbing that I didn't want to leave, that I didn't want to go. Through my tears and sobs, I told my best friend and her family goodbye and that I'd miss them. My mom started the car and we pulled away from the curb. We were moving away and moving on.

I pretty much cried all the way to my new home. We immediately got to unpacking and I moved into my new room. It was bare. The walls were painted a light pink from the previous owner. If any of you know me, you know that I wouldn't be able to stand staring at pink walls all day. A couple of my mom's co-workers stopped by to see if we needed any help. The art teacher and I decided to go to Lowe's and get new paint. We brought a pillow with a Robins Egg Blue type of color on it and they made the paint the same color. That same day, the day that we moved, we painted my room that blue color. It was a good experience, a fun experience, that I still remember to this day.

We have now been living in this house since then, and I'm glad for it. It's a much nicer neighborhood and we're closer to family here. My aunt and uncle are right around the corner, my grandma is 2 minutes away, and another set of aunts and uncles are 5 minutes away. I believe we are better here and my mom made the right decision to move here, even though I thought my life was ending at first.

... The Limping Lizard.

No comments:

Post a Comment