THIS IS THE BLOG OF THE LEAPING LIZARD

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Heavy Hearts

This morning I received a text message from one of my friends. It said that a sister of one of our good friends had passed away last night in a snowmobiling accident. She had fell into the water while snowmobiling on Third Lake. I called my friend who texted me and asked if she was serious. I realize now that asking that question was stupid but it's an immediate reaction when you hear news like that. It's shocking to hear that someone you've known since you were little isn't with us anymore. Granted, I was never close to her but I am close with her sister. I thought about her, Ashley, my friend. I thought about how much she is hurting and how much her family is hurting. I just wanted to go to her house and hug her and let her cry on my shoulder, like she's let me do for less extreme and less taxing reasons. But I knew, that in this time, so close to the fatal incident, that they would want to be with their family. I know my time will come to help support and grieve with Ashley when she needs me.

This time has made me realize how important family is. You never know when your time is up, this incident proves it. Nikki's last status update on Facebook was that she was so glad it was Friday and that she was ready for the weekend. This makes me think that one day the weekend is ready for us. You will never know what you encounter or who you will encounter in a mere matter of minutes or hours. We are unfortunate to have experienced this loss in minutes. Nikki was an amazing artist and athlete and was a beautiful girl. Although, there were some moments that people weren't too fond of Nikki, she was still someone's family member or friend. She was still cared about by many and known for her track records at Oriskany High School. Coming from a small town like Oriskany, news of her death traveled quickly and has touched so many people. There are many heavy hearts and grieving people in the world today.

Having this happen makes me think how much my family and friends mean to me. I don't know what I would do without my family members, they have been such a support system through everything imaginable in my life. And if I were to lose one of my friends, I'd be a wreck. I would think about all the times we disagreed or had fun, laughed and cried. I just wanted to say that I love all my family and friends. If we've had a rough spot in our friendship or familyship, I hope that some day we can move passed it, if we haven't already. Mom, I love you. Gramma and Grampa, I love you. Grandma, I love you. To all my aunts, uncles and cousins, I love you. To all my friends, whether in the past or in the present, I love you. To my girlfriend Cristina, I know you know this already but I cannot say it enough to show how much I really care for you, I love you.

...The Limping Lizard.

No comments:

Post a Comment